Learn to skate or improve your skating, in downtown Toronto
Whatever your age — or your skating goals — CanSkate will give you or your skater the fundamentals needed to achieve them:
- Learn to skate
- Improve edge control and stopping skills
- Prepare for figure skating
From recreational skaters to NHL players to Olympic figure and speed skaters, Skate Canada’s CanSkate program has taught generations of Canadians how to skate.
- 45 minutes in small groups, organized by skill level
- Skaters progress at their own pace through six levels—from the very basics of standing on skates all the way to crossovers, power stops, and basic jumps and spins
- Skaters can join at any point during the season (but we don’t pro-rate prices)
- New skaters will be placed in a group appropriate to their skills
- For our youth program, our normal skater to coach ratio is 8:1
We do not rent or sell equipment. Please come prepared for your lesson with:
- Properly-fitted skates — they can be recreational, figure, or hockey skates. Recreational or figure skates are easier to learn on, but hockey skates are just fine. Please make sure you get them sharpened before the first day of class, and then again after every 30 hours of skating.
- A CSA-approved hockey helmet manufactured in the last 5 years (the manufacture date is on the sticker on the back). Our insurance requires that hockey helmets be mandatory for all ages, and no other type of helmet can be used! If you buy your helmet used, please ensure it has a sticker and that you’ve checked the date.
- Gloves or mittens.
- Warm, athletic clothing that is comfortable and easy to move in.
Ages 4 to 17: Register for CanSkate as a Youth
Any child who is 4 by the first lesson of the season may register. For children starting in the Fall season, we additionally accept 3-year-olds who will be 4 by December 31, in order to align with TDSB policies.
Ages 18+: Register for CanSkate as an Adult
Fall 2020/Winter 2021
Season postponed until January 2021
Sadly, due to ongoing uncertainty around COVID-19, we are unable to offer CanSkate this fall. We hope to offer a shortened season starting in January, 2021.
Existing members will be notified by email when we have concrete plans. If you have not registered with us before and want to be notified, sign up for our mailing list.
Spring 2021 schedule
Our spring schedule is not yet finalized, but we will likely run CanSkate on Sundays around 2:00 PM and Fridays around 6:00 PM. Registration opens in April 2021.
Summer 2021 schedule
Our summer schedule is not yet finalized, but we will likely run CanSkate on Mondays around 6:00 PM. Registration opens June 2021.