Learn to skate or improve your skating, in downtown Toronto
Whatever your age — or your skating goals — CanSkate will give you or your skater the fundamentals needed to achieve them:
- Learn to skate
- Improve edge control and stopping skills
- Prepare for figure skating
From recreational skaters to NHL players to Olympic figure and speed skaters, Skate Canada’s CanSkate program has taught generations of Canadians how to skate.
- 45 minutes in small groups, organized by skill level
- Skaters progress at their own pace through six levels—from the very basics of standing on skates all the way to crossovers, power stops, and basic jumps and spins
- Skaters can join at any point during the season (but we don’t pro-rate prices)
- New skaters will be placed in a group appropriate to their skills
- For our youth program, our normal skater to coach ratio is 8:1
We do not rent or sell equipment. Please come prepared for your lesson with:
- Properly-fitted skates — they can be recreational, figure, or hockey skates. Recreational or figure skates are easier to learn on, but hockey skates are just fine. Please make sure you get them sharpened before the first day of class, and then again after every 30 hours of skating.
- A CSA-approved hockey helmet manufactured in the last 5 years (the manufacture date is on the sticker on the back). Our insurance requires that hockey helmets be mandatory for all ages, and no other type of helmet can be used! If you buy your helmet used, please ensure it has a sticker and that you’ve checked the date.
- Gloves or mittens.
- Warm, athletic clothing that is comfortable and easy to move in.
Ages 4 to 17: Register for CanSkate as a Youth
Ages 18+: Register for CanSkate as an Adult
ALL Skaters MUST be able to walk on skates and get up on their own!
COVID-19 protocols mean that, this year, skaters MUST be able to walk on skates and get up on their own after a fall, as coaches cannot help due to physical distancing!
6 weekly lessons: Jul 20 – Aug 24
|Time||Location||Youth (4-17)||Adult (18+)|
|Wednesday 5:00pm – 5:45pm||Mattamy Athletic Centre||$195||$195|
|Registration opens June 1 at 10am|
Please see our COVID-19 Policies. Note: provincial and venue regulations are evolving and may change before or after the season begins.
PLEASE NOTE: COVID-19 protocols mean that, this year, skaters MUST be able to walk on skates and get up on their own after a fall, as coaches cannot help due to physical distancing!
Need financial help?
If you are on a low or fixed income, the Canadian Tire Jumpstart program may be able to help cover some or all of the program fees for your children.
The fine print
- You may only skate in the time slot(s) you register for (we cannot offer makeups for missed lessons).
- All skaters must have a valid Skate Canada membership (one will be added to your cart, if we don’t have one on file). Annual Skate Canada memberships are valid from September to August, and are non-refundable.
- If you wish to withdraw before the first day of the season, we will refund the program fees, less a $25 administration fee. Skate Canada membership fees are non-refundable.
- On or after the first day of the season, we can offer no refunds.
- Permanent transfers to a different time slot will incur a $25 administration fee, and can only be done if the other time slot has space.
- You cannot transfer between Moss Park Arena and Mattamy Athletic Centre.
- Should you become injured during the season, we may offer credit against future registrations. Sufficient medical documentation must be provided, and credits may expire if not used within a reasonable span of time. All such credits are at the discretion of the Board of Directors.